Saint Gabriel School provides a Christian environment for Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade learners. Students are guided intellectually, spiritually, socially and emotionally in the light of the teachings of Jesus Christ.
Students are provided with the tools to excel through school and beyond. Their minds receive challenging academic programs integrated with innovative technology while their spirits are guided through Christian teachings.
Saint Gabriel School welcomes a collaboration between educators, parents and students. The school community is one of respect, praise, encouragement, righteousness and trust. We provide a comfortable, safe school environment where students can develop their God given talents to the highest potential.
Saint Gabriel School empowers students to be informed, ethical and compassionate leaders who possess a lifelong love of learning, a dedication to service and a commitment to Catholic values, in an ever changing world.
St. Gabriel School is a Catholic community
The opening of Saint Gabriel School on September 8, 1956 was the realization of a dream for Monsignor Harold F. Daly and the parishioners of Saint Gabriel Church in Windsor, Connecticut. Many years of planning to establish a parish parochial school came to fruition when the old Roger Ludlow High School building was purchased from the town of Windsor for the sale of $22,000.
The first year's enrollment totaled 219 students in five grades; class size was limited to 42 children. Faculty members consisted of four teaching nuns and a teaching principal belonging to the order of Felician Sisters based in Enfield, Connecticut. Tuition charges were $35.00 per year. A uniform policy was not in place the first school year, but did take effect the following year.
A curriculum was outlined by the Archdiocese of Hartford in the "Congress of Study for Catholic Elementary Schools" in the 1961 Course of Study, academic content was structured around the "five main goals of child development: 1) physical fitness; 2) economic competency; 3) social virtue; 4) cultural development and 5) moral and spiritual perfection in Christ."
Under Monsignor Daly's tenure, and with the strong support of the parishioners, Saint Gabriel School flourished. There was a waiting list of parents who wished to enroll their children in the school when it reopened for the second year and this trend continued for many years. A successful capital campaign allowed the addition of the new wing in 1961. In 1966 two classrooms of grades 1 through 8 were established and enrollment reached its peak at 625 students, which amounted to full classrooms in almost every grade.
The fortunes of the school mirrored that of other parochial schools in Connecticut, and reflected the declining numbers of school aged children in the early 1970s. Enrollment had steadily declined until it was necessary to begin closing one classroom per grade beginning in 1971. During the early 1980s, the future of the middle school was in jeopardy; class size averaged only 15 students and the parish subsidy of the school was increasing.
In the 1990s the school had (1) classroom for each grade from Kindergarten through Eight. The average size was approximately thirty (30) students. In the 1998-1999 school years, construction began on reopening the 1910 building which had been closed in 1989 due to the decline in enrollment , as outlined above. The construction project consisted of: building a corridor connecting the 1896 and 1910 buildings: refurbishing the classrooms of the 1910 building: and general cosmetic improvements. This project has been completed. The upper floors of both buildings consist of "specialty rooms" (Music/Band, Art, Science, Computer, and the Advancement Office). The first floor houses four (4) classrooms used by Grades 6, 7, and 8. The Administrative Offices are located in the other rooms on this floor, and the library is located directly across from the Administrative Offices. The basement of the building houses the parish religious education storage area.
As Saint Gabriel School entered into the new millennium the school's enrollment has stayed between 180-190 students. There are approximately eighteen (18) students per grade (K-8). Saint Gabriel School continues to stay on the cutting edge of technology with its current computer lab and integration of technology into the curriculum. The school continues to carry out its mission by creating an environment that is a faith filled educational experience for all students.
Fifty-four years after its inception, Saint Gabriel School remains true to those goals established in 1956. Administration, faculty, and parents put forth a concerned effort to provide each student with a strong academic foundation, an opportunity to integrate faith and Catholic values into everyday life and possess a positive self-image. Throughout its history, the very essence of the school has been the general faith-filled community of Saint Gabriel's, who remains tireless in its commitment to our children.
Over 3,000 students have graduated from Saint Gabriel School to join the world community. Faced with personal, professional and spiritual challenges as adults, their success and achievements are truly a testament to all of us.